It’s been two weeks since “In Death: Unchained” was released and I wanted to share a few words with everyone.
We’re blown away and humbled by how the game was received – the 4.9/5 rating on the store after over 400 reviews makes Unchained one of the highest rated games on Quest and one of its top sellers, despite its more demanding genre. Hearing our players praising the game’s quality, polish and replayability value and their understanding of the growing pains gives meaning to the last year of hard work that went into making this game.
We were also greatly received by the press, with many enthusiastic reviews and a 78/100 rating on vrgamecritic.com. What makes us extra proud is that the game was significantly updated since the reviews, thanks to the team’s ongoing dedication and Oculus’ trust in us updating the game minutes after launch.
This all speaks to the amazing work the team has put in. According to our players, Unchained is a “benchmark of visual quality” on Quest, and we’re proud that we’ve been able to bring the game in its entirety, complete with its procedurally generated worlds, dozens of enemies and wide variety of visual effects all at the same time. We keep working on the quality, our goal is to be the definitive visual experience on Quest, something beautiful and fun that everyone needs to own to show the hardware pushed to its limits.
In Death: Unchained is already the highest rated archery game on Quest, but it can be quite challenging. We’d like everyone to be able to join in on the fun and enjoy a rich visual experience, and with these goals in mind, I wanted to announce that we will soon be adding a free new game mode to the game: an archery range, with its own leader boards, where players of all skill levels will find something for themselves.
Even the most casual players will be able to enjoy the super fun shooting mechanics within the beautiful setting of all three worlds, in a laid-back atmosphere (personally I’d like my family to be able to have fun in the game as well). But when played seriously, our more competitive and hardcore players will be able to push the limits of this mode, and shooting in VR overall, using their skills to reach mind-blowing scores. We will be working on this mode with the community, initially with an inner circle of top players, contest winners and friends of the game.
I also wanted to announce Update 1.0.9, going live on Friday, Aug 7th 2020, which includes a number of things everyone’s been asking for:
- The game now comes with three independent profiles so the game can be shared between multiple people on the same headset (community suggestion)
- Portal to Paradise Lost and a new achievement to unlock starting from this world (community)
- Legends of In Death contest winners CatchSleepyHands, ArcaneParadigm, 3R3Z4 and the remaining top 10 (congratulations!) were immortalized in the game’s Sanctuary
- Hall of Fame was added to the in-game menu to commemorate the top 100 players of the contest as a surprise
- Updated game balance in The Abyss (community)
- Improved the quiver usability (community)
- More sound fixes, additions and updates (community)
- Tweak checkpoints synchronization (community)
- Fixed the totem spawner abuse (community)
- Exploding head achievement now counts correctly (community)
- Ton of other smaller and bigger fixes, plenty of them with help from and reported by our amazing community!
Stay tuned for the updates and we’ll see you in the game!
Wojtek Podgorski, CEO, Superbright
PS. I wanted to personally thank our community, we were only to update the game quickly thanks to you, your enthusiasm, actionable feedback and critique as well as suggestions for changes we’ve already implemented and ones still coming.